Bro. William Humphreys
A Jonah Experience
Jonah 1:1 -4
1. Now the word of the LORDcame unto Jonah the son
of Amittai, saying,
2. Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against
it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
3. But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the
presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and
he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the far
thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto
Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.
4. But the LORD sent out a great wind into the sea, and
there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the
ship was like to be broken.
1. The Call v.1---- Matthew 9: 13b .. for I am not
come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
2. To Preach the Gospel
a. Now many believe that preaching is the preachers
Job. And in many ways they are correct.
b. But lesson to Matthew 28:18-20 KJV ---- " 18. And
Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is
given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19. Go ye
therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the
name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy
Ghost: 20. Teaching them to observe all things
whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am
with you alway, even unto the end of the world.
c. Now that " GO YE " means every Christian is to be
telling others about Christ. You do that by.....
1. The way you treat people
2. The way you speak to people.
3. The way you conduct yourself.
4. To be Christ Like.
3. You are To Be An Example
a. Jonah was Disobedience v.3
1. He knew the reputation of that city. He did not
want anything to do with it. Do he ran from God.
2. But guess what you can Run but you Can Not Hide
4. The Consequences of Disobedience
a. The first consequence is your relationship with
God is strained and the storms begin to toss you
about, and you may not even know it.
b. Look at Jonah asleep in the storm. Not Realizing
the danger he was in. Until someone told him.
c. When Jonah realized he was running from God
and confessed it. You see you really can't flee
d. Cast me into the sea. But the men of the ship did
not wish to destroy Jonah. The rowed harder to
help save the ship.
e. But when you run from God long enough your ship
will begin to sink and you will have to take drastic
measures. You might have to cry out To GOD.
1. These men ask God to forgive them for what they
were going to do.
2. GOD answered that prayer. When they took
Jonah and through him overboard. The storm
stopped. And Jonah was swallowed by a fish
that God had Prepared.
3. If you look at Chapter 2 Verses 1 thru 9 --- It is
Jonah pray of confession. He realized his Sin
and asked God for forgiveness.
f. What Sin are you Hiding. Give it to God and He
will answer your prayer.
1. God had the fish up-chuck Jonah onto DRY LAND.
Giving Jonah another chance.
2. For again God tell Jonah to go to Nineveh and
3. We have many Nineveh that we will have to face
in our life. But lets do it with God standing
5. Our Obedience will be Rewarded Jonah 3:3
a. Jonah 3:3 KJV ---- " So Jonah arose, and went unto
Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord . Now
Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days'
b. Jonah 3:4 KJV ---- " And Jonah began to enter into
the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet
forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown. "
c. The city responded. And we would also.
d. If we are told that in fourth days are end will come,
What would you do?
7. STOP RUNNING FROM GOD !!!!!
a. When you do THAT .....
1. It will Bring Gods Blessings into your life
2. You will become Right With God
3. And you will have True Peace of Heart and Mind.
by Bro. William Humphreys
Pleasant View Baptist Church